[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen for Academics -- PAC Flavor

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Jul 25 12:41:54 EDT 2014

>   * Never make a user click twice if there is a way to click once
>   * Must be compatible with all manner of handheld devices
>   * Must comply with current accessibility standards for the sight
>     impaired

I would argue these are principles that should be kept in mind for a
catalog for all audiences. Looking at the last two: the responsive
design catalog is fairly new and probably has areas where it could be
improved for handheld devices. If there is a specific area of the
catalog that needs improvement for mobile devices, I encourage you to
file a LP report on it. There were several people involved in that
project, and I'm sure many of us would be happy to continue work to make
it better.

My understanding is also that the catalog is WCAG compliant as of 2.6,
so this is another area where a bug report should be filed if it's not
meeting standards.

> Must comply with current library standards (no matter how ridiculous)

I would need more information on this one.

> In my opinion there should be: less art, more text, less white space,
> fewer headings

So *this* is the area where I would say we're talking about an academic
flavor.  A lot of this is customizable, of course, but, if there was
consensus among a several academics on this idea of less art, more text,
etc., then I do think it would be fairly easy to incorporate these
things into another template directory that is available in the core code.

> Note that the author and subject entries are hot links. Clicked
> authors would result in an Author Browse Results Screen. Clicked
> Subjects would result in a Subject Browse Results Screen.
>
> I believe it is critical to treat the whole subject phrase as a single
> entity. Treating each individual subdivision as its own searchable
> entity is not helpful. Probably 10% of the records in our collection
> have the subject subdivisions "Religious aspects -- Christianity." You
> can imagine that the results from a keyword search for either of these
> terms would be unhelpful. On the other hand clicking on the entire
> phrase, such as Psychotherapy -- Religious aspects -- Christianity,
> and being placed on a results screen for that entire phrase would lead
> the researcher to subject areas they may not have been aware of.

The current links in the record were created before a browse search was
even available in the catalog. Now that we have browse search, I would
be curious to hear if others think these links should now go to a browse
search or continue launching a keyword search. I know I've heard this
suggestion from publics and academics alike. I can't say I have an
opinion on it, but I think it's a worthwhile discussion to have now that
we do have a browse search that could be utilized for these links.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
klussier at masslnc.org