[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] browser client update 2014-06-01 / billing UIs and print templates

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Wed Jun 4 17:01:04 EDT 2014

Thanks for the thorough testing, Terran.  Comments inline...

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM, McCanna, Terran <
tmccanna at georgialibraries.org> wrote:

> Thanks, Bill! My notes:
>

> Bills Interface
>
> - I like the new layout and it makes more visual sense to me. It is not so
> different that front line staff will have trouble adjusting to it.

Great.

> - In playing around with voids, at one point I got an error message that
> has a typo (missing 'd' in 'selected') in it: "Event:
> 1211:BILL_ALREADY_VOIDED -> The selecte bill has already been voided."

Ah, that alert should not have slipped through.  I'll take a look.

> - When adding a new bill, I notice that in the current interface there is
> both Transaction Type and Billing Type, but in the browser interface, there
> is only Billing Type. In PINES, we don't actually select a Transaction Type
> (everything we bill manually is 'Grocery'), so I don't think losing that
> select field on the Add Bill popup form would affect us, but I wanted to
> throw it out there in case it would affect anyone else.

The Transaction Type selector doesn't actually serve a purpose.  There were
some vague ideas early on about supporting different types of transactions
for manually applied billings, but it never really went anywhere.  I've
opted to hide the selector.

> - When adding a billing type, only "Misc" is currently available - would
> you mind adding a few more types for our testing purposes? I assume the
> list varies widely from library to library, but a few we use are: Lost Card
> Fee, Equipment Fee, Returned Check Fee.

Added.

Feel free (anyone) to add more as well:
https://bill-dev2.esilibrary.com/eg/conify/global/config/billing_type

> Viewing Full Details for a Bill
>
> - You have the values in the Voided column showing as true/false and when
> I look at the current staff client it shows Yes/No. I find Yes/No easier to
> visually distinguish than true/false. That being said, I think it would be
> even easier to distinguish if it the false/no displayed as blank and only
> the Yes/true was displayed.

OK.  I'll let that simmer for a bit pending feedback.  It's an easy change
either way.

> - The system would not allow me to edit any of the "System Generated..."
> notes - should I be able to?

Fixed.

> - Payments grid is not sortable by column header like the other grids are

The traditional payments API does not support server-side sorting, so grid
sorting is disabled.  I'm planning on changing the API in use, though, so
we can get sorting (paging, streaming) back.

> Print Templates
>
> - I like it! I played around with some basic CSS formatting to style some
> of the lines and it all looked good.

Great.

> - Will this interface have a list of available fields that can be pulled
> in (like the macro list on the current staff client), or at least a list in
> the documentation for the local admins to refer to?

I'm still considering the best way to handle that.  I'd like to wait until
the structure for the sample data settles down some.  But, yes, there will
be documentation.

> - Is the Preview button necessary? It looks like any change to the code
> previews automatically (which is great).

It was initially necessary, but not anymore.  It's gone.

> - I assume that these buttons/features are coming, but just haven't been
> built yet? (Default button, Import, Export, Force Printer Context)

Correct, yet to be built.

Thanks,

-b

--