[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 2.5.2 Subject Browse Index

Janet Schrader jschrader at cwmars.org
Wed Jun 18 14:10:11 EDT 2014

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding this. Will the separators cause the subject in the browse list to behave the same way the headings do in our bib record display? I think subject headings in browse and in the bib record should be treated as a complete entity, not as separate topics. I looked at Bibliomation's index and if I click on "United States History Civil War, 1861-1865 Women" I get the 55 entries which is the number in parentheses after that link.

Currently in our bib record displays the subject headings have separators. So the subject heading looks like this:
United States>History>Civil War, 1861-1865>Women.
If I click on 'United States' the search is for just that part of the subject. If I click on 'History' the search is for 'United States>History'. If I want to search women in the Civil War I have to click on 'Women' to search the entire subject phrase.

The unfortunate scenario here is that clicking on the beginning of the subject phrase searches only 'United States' and the search times out so a patron gets "sorry no entries were found for 'United States'". Which separate term clicked on determines what gets searched. It is not very intuitive to know that you have to *start at the end* to make the search more specific.

Janet

Janet Schrader
C/W MARS Inc.
Supervisor of Bibliographic Services