[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hack-A-Way

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Sun Mar 2 09:16:11 EST 2014

As we near the annual conference it's also time that I start thinking about
the Hack-A-Way.  For those not familiar with the Hack-A-Way it began as an
attempt to keep up the momentum.  With the annual conference the only time
many of the developers got to see each other face to face there was a clear
need for another event in the spring.  As the last few years have
progressed it's value has increased as some developers have told me that
they are so busy with other obligations at the annual conference that the
Hack-A-Way is more and more the main time they can focus on code with peers
without distractions.  It's also a time we can hash out large issues and
get past roadblocks as we did with the future of the staff client last year.

As in previous years I will take proposals for hosting the event starting
the day after the Boston conference.  Who hosts and a poll among attendees
determines much of the time line but we look at having the event in the
September / October time frame.  So, if you might be interested in hosting
go ahead and start thinking about it.  The number of attendees fluctuates
but it's in the 10 - 20 range, not 100 - 200.  We don't charge
registrations but we do try to pick up a sponsor to help underwrite keeping
the event as cheap as possible.  We are perfectly amiable to a cheap hotel
with a spartan meeting room so long as it has good wifi and caffeine
available.  I'm also asked each year about who this event is for.  To be
blunt it's for developers.  That includes anyone interested in contributing
code in the community.

A few changes this year.  One, we will be adopting a non-harassment policy.
 This has never been an issue, nor do I suspect it would be, but with
awareness increasing among technology events we want to be firmly on the
side of the good guys (and good gals) and good practices.

Secondly, I'm always asked about events at the Hack-A-Way.  This is an
event for and by developers so we don't have presentations per se though we
often do have break out sessions where developers present on a topic.  I've
personally enjoyed these in past years and repeatedly heard they were
really informative.  So, I want to encourage any developers attending to
think about doing more of them whether on new development topics, existing
best practices, or something else entirely.  In the interest of this, once
we announce location and developers start being able to plan attendance I
will open a Google Doc for agenda editing.  We don't want it to be a highly
regimented event - it is for hacking on code after all - but I think it
will be a good opportunity for attendees to share what they're interested
in accomplishing out of it.  In that spirit the Doodle poll will also
feature some new questions this year about what folks would like to see
break out sessions on and accomplish at the Hack-A-Way.

This will probably be my only email about this until after Boston so ...
see folks there!

--

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop
reading them."
-- Ray Bradbury <https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1630.Ray_Bradbury>

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me."
-- C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>