[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Do you trim database tables?

Martha Driscoll driscoll at noblenet.org
Thu Mar 27 09:33:24 EDT 2014

We have been on Evergreen for nearly 2 years.  Recently it has been
taking significantly longer to load patron records than it used to.  We
load files just about weekly for our college libraries and the files
contain thousands of records.

I asked a few people at the conference about trimming tables and found
that some delete data out of auditor tables.  Our actor_usr_history
table is around 14 million rows and asset_copy_history is over 26
million rows.  We don't currently age the circulations and the
actor.circulation table is up around 67 million rows.

I'm wondering what system administrators do periodically to keep the
database running efficiently and what the potential trade-offs are.

--
Martha Driscoll
Systems Manager