[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Do you trim database tables?

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Thu Mar 27 09:57:16 EDT 2014

We age circulations after 7 days. Not all circs get aged at that time
since patron settings to keep circulation history can affect that, as
does the setting to keep previous circulations on copies. (We keep 2.)

We do delete data from the auditor tables. We keep 1 year for most
tables, but for the user and copy tables we only keep 30 days' worth.

As Mike Rylander pointed out, the sizes of the auditor tables don't
usually affect performance. They do, however, affect the time it takes
to a database dump and restore, which is important if you're copying
your database for development or training purposes on a somewhat regular
basis.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services
Email: jstephenson at mvlc.org