[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Browser client dev log update / feedback request on grids

McCanna, Terran tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Mon Mar 31 15:22:47 EDT 2014

Hi Bill (and group),

I apologize for being too late to add my input.

In general, I'd prefer users to be able to interact with the grid as close to 'normal' web behavior as possible. With that in mind, I agree that double-clicking should select text rather than opening a page. Either having the data in one of the first columns display as links or having a simple edit button on each row would be very obvious to the users (and either would only require one click instead of two).

For selecting multiple rows at once, checkboxes at the left of each row would be very obvious to users. CTRL-Click is nice too, but it's not as intuitive to most non-computer-savvy people. Also, I'm guessing checkboxes would be easier to use when using a touch-screen device or mobile device.

I second that simple, standard copy and paste would be wonderful to be able to do. Not being able to copy and paste from a grid row in the current client is a continual source of frustration. And doing so without building a pop-up to manage it would be ideal. I noticed on the example of the 3rd party angular UI that you posted a link to, I could not select any of the text.

Paging versus Scrolling - I prefer paging, but with the ability to control how many rows display per page. Most pages on most library monitors are going to require scrolling of the entire page, and I find having to scroll within a box while I'm also scrolling a page is really annoying, especially when using touch screen devices. I've typically found that sites with paging also tend to resize better on different monitors and tend to print better (although these two things can probably be tweaked with diligent testing of the CSS).

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Se rvice
1800 Century Place, Suite 150