[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] browser client update for 2014-04-23

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Thu May 1 09:18:17 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM, McCanna, Terran <
tmccanna at georgialibraries.org> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Sorry about the late response, I'm still catching up on my emails after a
> conference last week.
>
> I assume that the paper type setting you mention is the same as paper
> size? (Making sure we can accommodate different sizes of rolls here. I
> readily admit I'm unclear on what aspects of printing can be controlled
> from here and what would need to be controlled by a printer-specific
> driver.)

Yes, exactly, "Media Size".  E.g. Letter, Postcard, Legal, Folio, #4
Japanese Envelope 90mmx205mm ;), etc. etc...

> Within the current staff client in the printer config we have the scale /
> shrink to page width option - is that a configuration attribute that you
> can set up here?

This is certainly do-able within the JavaFX print framework.  (Note to
self: affine transforms
http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/api/javafx/scene/transform/Transform.html).
 Scaling is not an option in the default print dialog, though (at least not
on my printer), so we may have to provide some custom configuration for
that.

JFYI, when all is said and done, it may be best to replace native Java
print dialog with a series of custom settings the user simply enters
directly into the browser print configuration interface.  Before we do
that, though, I'd like to settle on which exact settings we need to support
(which we have to do, regardless, for settings persistence).  IOW, if we
have to manage scaling externally (i.e. in the browser), there is an
argument for managing all of the settings directly within the browser.
 We'll know more after we do some testing.

Anyone out there using scaling?

-b

--
Bill Erickson