[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] browser client update 2014-05-01 / feedback requested on catalog integration

McCanna, Terran tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Thu May 1 16:19:44 EDT 2014

    - Although you're not working on the cataloging phase yet, catalogers switch back and forth between the MARC view and the catalog view of a bib record when creating it / working on it to make sure it will display properly when patrons view it through the OPAC, so please keep that in mind.

Do we see this as materially different from having the MARC view open in one browser tab and the catalog view open in another?

<<<<<<<<<

I'm going to say yes, but that may depend on how it's implemented. If I were a cataloger working on a single bib record today in my staff client, I can switch between MARC View / MARC Edit / OPAC View in the same tab and as I make changes, those changes are immediately reflected. If I am working on several bib records at once, I can keep them all straight because each  record is on a single tab no matter which way I'm viewing it.

If I were using the MARC view in the web client and clicked a button to view that record in the OPAC and it opened in a new tab, then clicked on that OPAC view to switch to the MARC Edit view, would it open a third tab? Or if I switched back to the MARC edit view to make a change and then clicked on OPAC View again, would it then open another new tab? Or would I have to switch to the tab I'd opened before and refresh it? Or would it recognize that I'd already opened that tab and switch to it and refresh it? See where I'm going with this?  It seems like it would be easy for both the staff person and the system to lose track of which tabs were related to each other, particularly if multiple records are being worked on at once.

I hope I'm thinking about this and explaining it clearly, it's been a very long day here! I'd welcome perspective from other staff users on all of this.

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Suite 150