[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] 2.6 slowness

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Wed Oct 15 10:26:11 EDT 2014

Hi Tim,

When we upgraded to Evergreen 2.6, we also changed a lot of our
infrastructure in terms of moving to better database server equipment
(faster CPU, memory, using SSDs, etc.) so at first, we felt things
were nice and speedy.  Things became slow for us due to unforeseen
performance issues related to large numbers of entries in our
uncontrolled record attribute values table.  See this bug (due to be
fixed in upcoming maintenance releases of Evergreen):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1374091.  When we fixed this
in our systems, we saw significant improvement in catalog performance.

That all said, the way you phrased your questions makes me wonder if
you've already identified slowness in your catalog specifically
relating to authorities.  Have you guys pinpointed any specific
queries that are slow on your systems?  What makes you suspect
authorities (which I wouldn't expect to impede regular keyword
searches, or checkin/checkout)?

When we were at the Hack-A-Way in South Carolina a few weeks ago, we
started logging and then running explain analyze on specific queries
from our PostgreSQL logs that appeared to be taking longer than
generally expected.  We do not have authorities yet in our Evergreen
system, so we can't test that particular round of things in our
environment.  Also, I wonder about other areas, like not having enough
memory to keep your database fully cached and getting disk I/O issues.
Or postgresql.conf tuning choices.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum