[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Project ideas for Outreach Project for Women

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Sep 3 15:05:02 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I added three potential coding
projects to the OPW wiki page
http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=opw. The first two came from
discussions with a few other people: 1) Improvements to the self-check
interface, including moving the interface to AngularJS and 2) a
continuation of our responsive design work. The third, Awesome Box
integration, was something I added today as I was remembering the great
keynote we had at the last Evergreen conference.

I think these projects should be doable for a developer new to Evergreen
to accomplish in the time allotted (December 9 to March 9). However, I'm
not a developer, so if anyone with more expertise thinks these are
unreasonable, please let me know.

There are two people who have volunteered to be mentors for the
responsive design project, but we would need mentors for the other
projects to include them on the final list. My preference is to have two
co-mentors for a project to help minimize the per-mentor time
commitment. If you are interested in mentoring either of these projects,
feel free to add your name to the wiki. We need to let the OPW folks
know our final decision by the end of the week, so I'm hoping volunteers
can put their names forward by Friday morning.

If there are other coding projects that you think might be good for this
program, feel free to add them to the wiki. As far as criteria for what
might make a good project, OPW made the following recommendations in the
'Defining a Project" section of the mentors page:

> The project should consist of manageable and relevant tasks that can
> be incorporated into the project throughout the internship period.
> Stand-alone projects proposed by an applicant are not suitable at all
> for people who are not established contributors. Please try to avoid
> situations when participants work on features that are not yet
> designed or agreed-upon, have too many moving parts, and would only
> land in the main code-base after the internship is over as a best-case
> scenario. This rarely works out. Instead, look for agreed-upon
> manageable bugs and small features that have a shared theme and would
> allow the participant to feel the satisfaction of landing her changes
> throughout the internship.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
klussier at masslnc.org