[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Web Client (Sprint 1) demo - initial testing results

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 12:10:29 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:57 AM, McCanna, Terran <
tmccanna at georgialibraries.org> wrote:

> Hi Grace,
>

> To be clear, I assume you mean that all of the above should be added as
> "quick links" from the splash page?
> These actions
> - Register Patrons
> - Pull List for Hold Requests
> - Catalog Search
> - Item Status
> are all available from the menus at the top.
>

> Since we're moving to a browser client and have the opportunity to
> re-think the splash page I think this might be a good time to get community
> input as to what actions should be included and how those should be
> organized.
> Should there even be a splash page with a browser client and, if so, what
> should be included as "quick links" by default?
>
> <<
>
> Yes, this list is based on what's currently in the staff client under the
> assumption that the developers are recreating what is currently there. I'm
> not opposed to the idea of re-thinking what is on the splash page, but I
> would be opposed to removing it entirely as I think it's very helpful for
> staff.

Also, just to be clear, for both the splash page and menus we'll be adding
only those entries that are being addressed during the current sprint.  So,
for instance, there won't be a Reports link until we address the reporter.

> MENUS:
> - Search Catalog link missing from Search dropdown menu
>
> We can add that. (Right now it appears under Cataloging, for those who are
> just following the email discussion) In the current client a link to search
> the catalog appears under both Cataloging and Search menus. Should we keep
> them both or eliminate one?
> <<
>
> I prefer to have it in both places, but if it were only to be in one
> place, I would put it under Search.

For the time being, I've added it to the Search menu as well.

> ITEMS OUT SCREEN - COLUMN PICKER:
> - I didn't go through every option, but there were obvious differences
> between the current staff client and the web client and definitely some
> columns missing that are in the current staff client.
>
> There are a few things missing (like checkout/checkin workstation and circ
> or renewal worktation), and the list of values in the web based client is
> not ordered alphabetically. We can fix the latter and the former is due to
> one of the known challenges going to a web interface. A longer and more
> explanatory email to come on that.
> <<
>
> Great, thank you.

I've added both of the workstation columns, and we can add more as needed.
The ability to use the show/hide all actions is fixed already in master, so
that will show up with the next update to Webby.

To address the sorting of columns in the picker, I've added code that
recognizes when a field has been added explicitly and individually, as
opposed to the full field set of a table via wildcard.  Explicit columns
are pushed to the top of the list, and their UI order retained, and
wildcard-added columns are then sorted by their labels, regardless of the
table from which they came.

You can see that code, along with the workstation column additions and the
nav bar update, here:
http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/collab/miker/web-client-sprint1-cleanup

Others should feel free to toss small fixes on that collab branch, and we
can squash it down as a general fix branch later.

Thanks!

--
Mike Rylander