[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Awesome Box Integration

Ruth Frasur director at hagerstownlibrary.org
Fri Sep 26 10:44:46 EDT 2014

I don't have anything of value to add to this other than while, of course,
I love the idea of reader recommendations and Awesome Box integration in
any form, I also think there would HAVE to be some type of anonymizing
(sp?) of patron data.  I don't think this is impossible BUT, as Rogan has
said, there is a definite danger of project creep.  My suggestion, fwiw, is
to find some first/second step for Awesome Box integration and focus more
on building a foundation (that may or may not have truly visible/useful
features for end users) on which others (or other projects) could expand.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Rogan Hamby <rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net>
wrote:

> I'm concerned with project creep as well as I noted in one of early
> missives.  If this is stored independent of patron data (which actually I
> think it should) then I think we should also track circs since the feature
> was turned on so it could say "3 out of 4" people found it awesome.
>
> Stepping back a bit to recommendations and anonymizing records, we don't
> anonymize historical circs.  We don't expose that data and take staff level
> access to it pretty seriously.  Due to varying state and county regulations
> dictating minimum record retentions we're still at least 2 years out from
> being to safely wipe our oldest records.  Maybe more.
>
> And anonymizing it closes certain opportunities.  Some are mundane like
> addressing old conflicts and billing questions but those can be big in
> their own right.  As the circ manager who talks to the upset patron I may
> have a different point of view on that.  :)
>
> Analyzing circulation patterns is far more interesting though and I am
> long term interested in recommendations.  In the age of Anazin, Netflix and
> everyone else this is not just valuable but expected.  It's perhaps the
> patron request I hear most.
>
> Coupled with some holds features it would be a great great boon for home
> bound services which I feel are a critical function of libraries, at least
> in my state where it's a strong traditional service.  I assume elsewhere as
> well though I know mileage varies.
>
> And it was the building block of several functions that GA PINES
> identified as critical for TBS support during the Loblolly conference.  We
> may never fully support TBS programs in Evergreen but I thought GA PINES
> collected a lot of great ideas and input there and would hate to discard
> that.
>
> On Thursday, September 25, 2014, Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org>
> wrote:
>
>>  Hi all,
>>
>> Great discussion so far!
>>
>> We had a bit of a discussion about privacy concerns in IRC after Terran
>> sent her original message. One approach we were discussing was storing the
>> awesome tags in an anonymous fashion, except in cases where patrons have
>> opted into saving their circ history. In those cases, the user has already
>> consented to having this information saved and could have a more enhanced
>> experience with the recommendation engine. Others who were part of the
>> discussion could elaborate or correct me if I'm not articulating the ideas
>> correctly. The discussion can be found at
>> http://irc.evergreen-ils.org/evergreen/2014-09-25#i_126632.
>>
>> In relation to genres, Vanya said:
>>
>> Maybe, as a solution to that, we can have a hierarchical algorithm for
>> categorizing. In other words, we can allow the administrator to decide
>> whether the categorization comes all the way down to genres, or just takes
>> into account the overall weight of the user's awesome tag.

> [...]

Ruth Frasur
Director of the Historic(ally Awesome) Hagerstown - Jefferson Township
Library
10 W. College Street in Hagerstown, Indiana (47346)
p (765) 489-5632; f (765) 489-5808

Our Kickin' Website <http://hagerstownlibrary.org>  Our Rockin' Facebook
Page <http://facebook.com/hjtplibrary>  and Stuff I'm Reading
<http://pinterest.com/hjtplibrary/ruth-reads/>