[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen access via Google?

Marc Truitt mtruitt at mta.ca
Thu Apr 9 09:15:00 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-09 1005, Ben Shum wrote:
>>That all said, I suppose one potential "danger" of having bots freely
>>scan over your site is that if they get too busy with indexing your
>>site's contents, they can overwhelm and cause interruptions in your
>>ability to use Evergreen.  This happened to us at least once before,
>>where some indexer in China scanned our whole catalog and tried to
>>index every page causing us to run out of system resources trying to
>>serve up all the content it was requesting.

Disclaimer:  I'm a lurker who is very interested in and hopeful for
Evergreen's success.  Our site currently uses a proprietary ILS.

I don't know whether an Evergreen site has yet done this, but FWIW,
another approach is to sign up for OCLC's WorldCat Local (to be
rebranded WorldCat Discovery) service.  Among the (apparently
less-known) features included is web-scale discovery.  OCLC makes its
records discoverable via Google and other search services.  These in
turn -- via WCL -- are linked in real-time to availability information
in subscribers' ILSes.

cheers,

- mt

Marc Truitt
University Librarian                voice  : 506-364-2567
Mount Allison University            e-mail : mtruitt at mta.ca
Libraries and Archives              fax    : 506-364-2617
49 York Street                      cell   : 506-232-0503
Sackville, NB  E4L 1C6

"We wanted flying cars, instead we got 140 characters."
                                     -- Peter Thiel

               Wearing the sensible shoes proudly since 1978!