[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] LARL/NWRL EG Community Group

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Thu Aug 13 14:12:08 EDT 2015

Hello Evergreen Community,

We have just started an Evergreen Community Involvement group here at Lake Agassiz Regional Library (LARL) and Northwest Regional Library (NWRL) to give our staff members the time and support to become involved with the Evergreen Community.  I've asked the group members to introduce themselves on the Evergreen General list as a first step.  In the coming weeks we will be working through the various ways that are available to get involved so our staff members can find areas that interest them.

I've asked them all to send an introduction to this list, so I should probably do the same.

The LARL Headquarters is located in Moorhead MN, which is directly across the Red River from Fargo North Dakota.  LARL has 13 branches and 9 LINK sites (LINK sites are open less than 10 hours a week).   The NWRL Headquarters is located in Thief River Falls MN which is about 100 miles north of Moorhead.  NWRL has 7 branches and 2 LINK sites.  LARL and NWRL are migrating to Evergreen in October this year from Innovative Millennium.  Equinox Software is doing our migration and providing ongoing support for our system.  LARL and NWRL have been sharing an automation system since ~1989, we started with a DRA system running on a VAX VMS server.

I've been working for LARL since 1998 when the library received a grant to replace some dumb terminals with PCs.  So they hired a couple of college kids for the summer to get them setup and installed.  Lucky for me, the computers didn't just run perfectly forever after they were installed, so I've had more work to do over the years.  I met my wife Kathleen at the Moorhead library in 2004 while she was the Children's Librarian, and we got married in 2005.  We have two boys Logan (3) and Luke (1) with another boy on the way in January.

So far I've really enjoyed getting more involved with the Documentation Interest Group (DIG) since I've found that to be a great way to learn the system.  I've also enjoyed finding what issues have come up when installing evergreen on the new release of Debian (Jessie) and getting fixes for those things into the system.  And that is my attempt at an introduction.

Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
Josh Stompro     | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139
LARL IT Director | Cell 218.790.2110