[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Z39.50 client query encoding issues

Linda Jansova skolkova at chello.cz
Tue Aug 25 08:51:26 EDT 2015

Hi again,

We have installed a 2.8.3 and tested the Z39.50 server output, yet the
problem with diacritics remains the same. Again, when submitting a
generic query with diacritics (using yaz-client), we get the expected
results, but when searching specifically for author, it results in no hits.

I have had a look at
https://coffeecode.net/archives/217-More-granular-identifier-indexes-for-your-Evergreen-SRU-Z39.50-servers.html
again and it seems to me that maybe the problem is caused by the fact
that with the exception of keyword, each of the other indexes mentioned
at Dan's blog (author, title, series, subject) is actually composed of
more granular indexes.

Maybe I am on the wrong track but it seems to me that it would be rather
a strange coincidence that keyword index (which I suppose the Z39.50
client would use when no fields are specified) works fine unlike those
other "composed" indexes...

Do you think that this could be the reason why we are experiencing the
encoding problems? And if so, do you have any idea where to look for the
appropriate encoding settings and change them to utf-8?

Thank you in advance for any clues to the puzzle!

Linda