[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holding Subfields

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Feb 2 10:20:12 EST 2015

Hi Don,

On 01/31/2015 05:50 AM, Donald Butterworth wrote:
> I must have been really tired yesterday, since I danced all around it
> but never specifically said ... can we please, please, please, include
> the ISBN as one of the Holding Subfields of the Provider record, and
> use it when populating the PO. Please.

Maybe?

Evergreen is an open-source system, which means it's possible to add any
new feature you need or want, provided that it is implemented and coded
well. Getting community consensus around the new feature, especially if
it is a large enhancement (I wouldn't consider this one to particularly
large) also helps.

However, saying please on the mailing list is probably not the most
effective means of getting your wishlist feature added to Evergreen. I
won't say it never leads to the new feature. In fact, one of the first
e-mails I sent out to this list asking for feedback on a new feature
(improved support for LC call number sorting) was one that made it into
the code within a matter of weeks. However, this feature was one that
was of interest to Evergreen developers who also worked at institutions
with LC call numbers and had already been planning to do this work.

You have to remember - our small developer community is primarily made
up of two different groups of developers. We have our "volunteer"
developers. I put "volunteer" in quotation marks because they really are
working for a library organization when they work on Evergreen.
Therefore, much of the work they do for Evergreen is directly related to
the needs of their own library organization.

We also have developers who work for companies or are self-employed and
do development on a contract basis.

It's not to say that these developers won't do work that's outside the
scope of what they've been hired to do. It happens quite a bit, either
because its best for the future direction of Evergreen or is a feature
they just want to see happen or because it's a small bit of work for
something that's a clear win for everyone.

All of the above is just a long way of saying the most effective means
for getting your wishlist feature into Evergreen is to a) hire somebody
or grow talent within your own organization to start making small code
contributions to the project or b) allocate a small portion of the funds
budgeted for your previous ILS' maintenance contract to hire private
contractors to implement development projects that meet the needs of
your library. We have a list of companies/developers that work on
Evergreen available at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:evergreen_companies.

Kathy