[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen-specific Friends Groups/Foundations

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Feb 2 10:34:59 EST 2015

Hi Ruth,

I think there might be a couple of reasons for this. For the public, the
primary relationship is with the library, not with the consortium. I
think potential donors are more likely to give to the organization with
which they have the  closer relationship. When giving to the library,
the public can clearly see the impact of their donations in the form of
new materials, additional programming, etc. I don't think the impact is
as clearly visible for a donation to the consortium. Overall, I have
found the public sees a lot of value in the ability to get materials
from all over the consortium, so highlighting that benefit would be a
good approach.

Also, the libraries themselves have their own friends groups that are
seeking funds. There may be a concern that a similar fundraising effort
at the consortium level would interfere with those fundraising efforts.

These aren't challenges that are insurmountable, but just some things
you might want to take into consideration.

Good luck!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier