[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Displaying patron information for checked out books

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Feb 4 10:06:16 EST 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Rogan Hamby <rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net> wrote:
> I want to make sure I'm understanding you.  Do you mean to display it in
> TPAC for patrons to be able to see what other patrons have a book checked
> out?  If so, at least for us in the United States* that would be a huge
> violation of patron privacy.  To be honest, it would be such a big violation
> that I wouldn't even feel comfortable with that as an option in TPAC.  It
> would be like having a bomb waiting to blow up in case someone turned it on
> by accident.

I agree with Rogan that such an option is not one to be added to
Evergreen lightly, nor would I personally feel comfortable if an
academic or public library were to turn it on. However, as a data
point, such an option does exist in Koha (the OPACShowCheckoutName
system preference), and it is specifically for use by corporate
libraries.

Regards,

Galen
--