[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] user passwords for accounts - default?

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Wed Feb 4 17:35:07 EST 2015

Jennifer,

I was just looking into how our EG is set to use the student ID as
their password. When we migrated we hired ESI and they gave me some
Postgres stored procedures that I use to batch load patrons. As part
of this process I use to load the students I create a temporary table
with some required fields, and I load the new student data into that
table. That temporary table has some very obvious fields, like first
name, last name, and password. When I configure how to load a CSV file
of students into that temporary table, I make sure to load the student
number into both the password field and a field called "ident_value."
The ident_value field is displayed as the patron's "ID" or "primary
identification" in the EG client.

I take a couple other steps, but I hope this starts to explain how we
do it. In your case, if you are batch loading students just load the
barcode value into both the barcode field and the password field.
Though, the password field and the barcode fields live in two separate
tables in the EG DB, I am sure it can be done with some research and
practice.

I suspect other academic libraries use their own homegrown process for
batch loading their patrons that do not use the ESI stored procedures.
I would like to store different approaches on the wiki for reference.

Good luck,
Yamil

--

Yamil Suarez, MCS