[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Motion to deactivate the "evergreen-admin" mailing list

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Wed Jan 14 11:35:45 EST 2015

-1.

Using similar logic, the cataloguers, web team, reports, DIG and even the dev list should also be eliminated. They are all low-traffic and the general list serves as the all-purpose venue for any of the content there, because “general" means anything and everything.

I suspect that low list membership and low traffic are somewhat of a chicken-egg type issue where one leads to another and vice versa.

My counter-recommendation is to invite people to subscribe to all topical lists and when posting messages to first consider posting on one of the sub lists and then if none fit the bill, use the general list.

In theory, this should lead to a cleaner separation of posts by topic, where the general list is used more for general announcements - future development proposals, future functionality discussion, new releases, event and community announcements - general topics, while more of the specific user and technical discussion is done using the topical lists.

On 2015-01-13, at 15:02 , Chris Sharp <csharp at georgialibraries.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I administer or co-administer all of the open-ils/evergreen mailing lists, and I would like to make a motion that we deactivate the Evergreen-Admin mailing list.  It is a very low-traffic list (maybe a dozen monthly posts at its busiest) with low membership (75 members), and most of the questions asked there would be appropriate for Open-ILS-General.  The list became active in September 2012 in response to an IRC discussion (http://evergreen-ils.org/irc_logs/evergreen/2012-05/%23evergreen.18-Fri-2012.log) where the majority of attendees wanted a dedicated system administration mailing list.
>
> In my view, the Evergreen-Admin list duplicates the purpose of this, the General list, in that the General list serves as an all-purpose venue for (non-development related) technical help in running Evergreen.  If you agree, please +1, otherwise, please state your case for keeping it. ;-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Sharp