[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Motion to deactivate the "evergreen-admin" mailing list

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Fri Jan 16 12:44:53 EST 2015

On 2015-01-14, at 18:10 , Ben Shum <bshum at biblio.org> wrote:

> Since we're bringing up the existing general and dev list
> descriptions, I'd like to raise my question in the past about
> migrating the general and dev list to the new list server instead of
> continuing the present legacy "open-ils-" prefixes on the current
> general and dev (and actually, documentation too) lists.

+1

> Perhaps in the process of moving the "dev" list to the community lists
> server, we might consider renaming it to be a bit broader than just
> "dev" meaning developer.  Using something else like "technical" or
> "tech" bridging the gap between purely "developer"-centric
> discussions, which in and of themselves tend to vary in degree of
> usage of the existing dev list as well, but allow us to encompass a
> broader technical discussion list.

+1.

> Just suggesting that possibility again….eg-oversight-board

Hypothetically, if this approach was applied to the whole Evergreen mailing list “infrastructure", here is an example of what that could look like:

evergreen-gov (combining eg-oversight-board and evergreen-governance-l)

evergreen-user (combining evergreen-catalogers and much of the user functionality discussion currently occurring on open-ils-general)

evergreen-teams | evergreen-taskforce | evergreen-workgroup | any other name of similar meaning (combining evergreen-web-team, evergreen-reports, open-ils-documentation and any other work group)
The traffic on the current lists is low and likely groups would not get in the way of each other on a combined list.

evergreen-dev | evergreen-tech | evergreen-devel (combining open-ils-dev, evergreen-admin and any an all types of technical discussion)

evergreen-announce | evergreen-general (used for event announcements, future-oriented discussions, RFP-type postings, job postings and alike)

open-ils-commits, opensrf-commits - not sure if it could make sense to combine them into evergreen-commits

As a result from the current 10 lists there would be 7 or 6 or less, which perhaps is a more proportionate number to the size of the community and mail traffic. Having combined lists, e.g., evergreen-team, would also take care of any needs if in the future there is a special new task force set up for something. Possibly, fewer lists mean fewer “silos”, more cross-exposure.

With such or a similar layout:

A typical user would need to subscribe to 2 lists
A typical technical user or developer would subscribe to 3.
etc.

A potential time-saving benefit of implementing such a structure or some variant of it (and finishing migrating to the new list server) could be that for the foreseeable future this would remain the last discussion thread on the topic of activating/deactivating mailing lists. ;)

> -- Ben
>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Rogan Hamby <rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net> wrote:
>> I would support refreshing those descriptions to reflect their use more
>> clearly, as Yamil points out.
>>

>> On Wednesday, January 14, 2015, Yamil Suarez <ysuarez at berklee.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am OK with the deletion of the "evergreen-admin". Part of my reason
>>> is that it is not getting as much use as I would have expected. Before
>>> this "evergreen-admin" list existed and while I was a new to the EG
>>> community, I was often not sure if I should post my sysadmin questions
>>> in the general or the developer list, or both. If we do eliminate the
>>> "evergreen-admin," I would love to see a word or two added to the list
>>> descriptions to make it more clear where sysadmin question would be
>>> most welcomed.
>>>

>>> Currently the descriptions are....

>>> Evergreen General Discussion List
>>>
>>> This is the general-topic, (usually) non-technical list for the
>>> Evergreen community — Evergreen users, librarians, library workers,
>>> library users, developers, fellow travelers, or people just plain
>>> curious about Evergreen. As of October, 2008, this list had over 500
>>> members. Its traffic is moderate.
>>>
>>> General means general. Posts range from discussions about possible new
>>> features to quick questions about implementation. There is no such
>>> thing as a “dumb” question or comment for the Evergreen general list.
>>> If you’re thinking the question, chances are, you’re in good company.
>>> Ask, and you give other members of the Evergreen community an
>>> opportunity to share their growing knowledge.
>>>

>>> ---------------
>>>
>>> Technical Lists
>>>
>>> Evergreen Development Discussion List
>>>
>>> This list is for patches and technical discussions about Evergreen and
>>> OpenSRF development. Messages and responses are often in the shorthand
>>> common to this culture.
>>>

>>> Just my two cents,
>>> Yamil

Aleksey Lazar