[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Motion to deactivate the "evergreen-admin" mailing list

Chris Sharp csharp at georgialibraries.org
Wed Jan 21 09:18:02 EST 2015

Good Morning,

I just wanted to summarize the discussion and try and bring it to some sort of action point.  Here's what I've got:

Explicit Votes:
Yes (+1)    9
No  (-1)    1
Neutral (0) 1

Opinions/Discussion Highlights:
"My counter-recommendation is to invite people to subscribe to all topical lists and when posting messages to first consider posting on one of the sub lists and then if none fit the bill, use the general list."
"... I am concerned that we are doing a disservice to new community members by telling them a list is available to help them when there don't seem to be many experienced folks who could help them actively participating on that list."
"Since the list was created, there's been long periods where it has been mostly ignored, either passively or actively, and I think it long ago reached the point where reluctance to use it has self-fulfilled a prophecy that it would not be used."
"If you read the IRC meeting log (referenced below), there was a great deal of interest in having a separate list, but most who participated in that meeting have not participated in Evergreen-Admin list disscussions. Is 2+ years not enough time to allow for growth?"
"If we do eliminate the "evergreen-admin," I would love to see a word or two added to the list descriptions to make it more clear where sysadmin question would be most welcomed."
"Perhaps in the process of moving the "dev" list to the community lists server, we might consider renaming it to be a bit broader than just "dev" meaning developer."
"I think the issue is that perhaps some of our most experienced community members feel that they are subscribed to a generous amount of Evergreen specific lists already... there is a risk of "hurting" people in the sense that they may not get their questions answered well or expediently via the sys admin mailing list and that will lead them to believe we just don't care."

There was also additional discussion around moving the Open-ILS-* lists from the GPLS list server to the Evergreen community list server and in the process, renaming, reorganizing, and/or clarifying the usage of, the current -dev and -general lists.  I'm considering those issues outside the scope of my original motion, but I'm happy to assist in any reorganization the community agrees on.

My takeaway is that, with objections noted, there is general consensus that the Evergreen-Admin list should be deactivated.  Accordingly, I will deactivate the list, keeping the archived posts available for viewing/web searching purposes.  I will send a "swan song" post to that list, inviting subscribers to ask technical questions on the Open-ILS-Dev list.  I'll defer to the web team for how to re-do the mailing list web page (http://evergreen-ils.org/communicate/mailing-lists/) to reflect this change.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns!

Chris