[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen OPW Style Guide Group: Help Wanted!

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Fri Jan 23 11:29:11 EST 2015

To follow-up on this, post meeting since I wanted to see how it went
first... I mentioned in IRC that I wondered about having these
meetings in the main #evergreen channel, rather than a separate
dedicated IRC channel just for OPW-evergreen.  While it's not hard to
position the bots into another channel for logging purposes (which was
also requested at one point), I feel that the general structure of the
discussion warrants being placed in the main IRC channel.  It was
pretty cool seeing how many people stopped by the separate channel to
see what was being discussed anyways, but I think that we can see the
same or even broader community involvement if we move it into the main
channel.

And if we're worried about cross-talk/other discussions interrupting,
I'd say we mark off the time on the Evergreen events calendar
indicating when IRC office hours are being held for OPW and use this
as an opportunity to get the whole community to watch/be-involved.
Even if some random discussions do end up occurring, the whole
community should use this time to engage with the OPW student and
process and we can work together to curtail other discussions and
focus on the OPW work.  Kind of like we'd do for any interest group or
developer meeting.  It seems like that would be beneficial for
everyone (not just those in the separate channel) to see what is being
done as part of OPW.  Separating the conversation also does not really
afford the OPW candidate the chance to interact with the whole IRC
community using the same general methods we'd use with any other new
developer.  It's good for them to get to know us in the main channel,
and for us to get to know them too.

So, to re-summarize, this is my motion to move the OPW discussions
into the main #evergreen channel.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum