[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Problem with Edit Items / Volumes per Bib function?

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Thu Jul 23 16:14:02 EDT 2015

Jennifer,

If you are not doing so, while the bug is still around, I suggest you use
Item Status to edit so that you can edit a number of items at one time
using the Actions for Catalogers menu. You can import a file of barcodes
that need to be edited (you can create the file from a report. I would
chop it into workable chunks), then highlight 20 or so at a time, edit
volumes, then edit item attributes (or vice versa). If you try to edit to
many at a time, it will take a long time for the system to respond, so you
may want to experiment to get the optimum number. You can run through a
list pretty quickly.

If the system is adding empty volumes with the new call number, rather
than deleting, you should transfer the item from the old call number to
the new one. Or delete all the empty vols (I think there may be a script
for that) and edit the old call numbers/items in Item status. I think the
later would be easier since you can do so several at a time where
transferring the items has to be done one at a time.

For those that have already been deleted, I think you may need to undelete
the volumes under the hood. I don't know how to do that but I am sure
others on the list can tell you.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager