[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Problem with Edit Items / Volumes per Bib function?

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Mon Jul 27 13:27:21 EDT 2015

Jennifer,

Based on my limited knowledge of this functionality, I think #1 may have actually occurred but you didn't realize it because that isn't what you expected the functionality to do.

If you immediately deleted the empty volume, you may not have needed to do so -- waiting for indexing to catch up may have solved the problem and the empty volume would have disappeared. This happens all the time when merging duplicate records -- the empty record can hang around for awhile before reindexing takes care of it, although it is usually almost immediate. I don't know this functionality well enough to be sure about that.

Without knowing your workflow, I can't speculate on how you managed to delete the item rather than the volume. Unfortunately, the item has to be undeleted on the server side by sysadmin. The only thing we can undelete on the client side is a title/record. Do you have a sysadmin that can do this? I don't know the steps but I do know it can be done and I am sure someone would be able to talk your sysadmin through it if needed.

As I said in my first response -- I suggest you use Item Status so that you can edit a number of items at one time using the Actions for Catalogers menu. You can import a file of barcodes that need to be edited (you can create the file from a report. I would chop it into workable chunks), then highlight 20 or so at a time, edit volumes, then edit item attributes (or vice versa). If you try to edit too many at a time, it will take a long time for the system to respond, so you may want to experiment to get the optimum number. You can run through a list pretty quickly.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service