[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Securing an Evergreen Server

Jesse McCarty jessem at burlingtonwa.gov
Wed Jun 3 13:20:56 EDT 2015

Thanks for the feedback Ben. I have actually been running unattended upgrades on all our Ubuntu servers for a while now (probably close to a year, including our current Evergreen production and test server). I have the automatic-reboot option set to false and then run a script via cron every Thursday (our planned maintenance day for system restarts if necessary) that checks if a system restart is required and reboots if necessary. This setup has been trouble free so far, but I will keep in mind the possible PostgresSQL issue mentioned and monitor the new server (which will be run in a test environment to see if there are any issues before taking over the production work).

I upgraded PostgresSQL to version 9.2 (from 9.1) via the Postgres apt repository on our current production server and since then some versioning has gotten off kilter and now there are broken dependencies on the production server with Postgres 9.1. This has prompted me to move my server upgrade instead of staying on 12.04. Should be a nice upgrade though, moving to an SSD based server.

We are small enough that our Evergreen setup is one server for everything, its running behind the hardware firewall with a virtual IP on said firewall (which also has additional rules/security to keep things locked down as much as possible - but more security doesn't hurt).

Jesse McCarty
City of Burlington
IT Technical Assistant