[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Has anyone used Porteus Kiosk for their library catalog?

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Wed Jun 24 14:01:19 EDT 2015

Hello George, we looked at it a few months ago but decided to go with Linux Mint + OpenKiosk instead.  There was some gotcha that I don't quite remember.  In browser PDF viewing maybe.  It was a while back, it might have been before chromium was offered, which might take care of the PDF issue.

We also looked at Sanic Kiosk http://sanickiosk.org/, but also had some unremembered issue with it, possibly pdfs again.

The javascript PDF viewer of chromium and firefox just wouldn't display some of the PDFs from megafile, or they would display after 10 minutes, but we wouldn't be able to print them.  We encourage customers to use our catalog machines to access our various database subscriptions so that was a requirement for us.

Josh Stompro - LARL IT Director