[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Upgrade Script for 2.6.4 to 2.7

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:07:51 EDT 2015

Chris,

That's what I've advocated for in the past (see upgrade scripts 0526 and
0537), via a helper script that 1) only applies what's needed (based on
config.upgrade_log) and 2) knows how to look up supersedes/deprecated-by
info from within the scripts.  Writing down a detailed plan keeps getting
back-burnered, but there are at least four different scripts floating
around that attempt to do various versions of that.

tl;dr of such a thing: all that's really needed to make that work is
 1) a concerted effort by devs to do things like supplying fine-grained db
scripts, particularly "reingest-only" scripts when a reingest is needed
 2) RM involvement in the creation of per-release scripts that do just
what's needed for the upgrade proper (like, do one and only one reingest)
 3) inclusion of supersedes/deprecated-by info in upgrade scripts that do,
in fact, supersede (or are deprecated by) early scripts
 4) a (say) perl script to read all the upgrade scripts and apply them in
order, as needed, based on config.upgrade_log

--
Mike Rylander