[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Upgrade Script for 2.6.4 to 2.7

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Mar 13 16:12:46 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Chris Sharp <csharp at georgialibraries.org>
wrote:

> Couldn't we develop some sort of upgrade mechanism that just aggregates
> and runs each of the constituent scripts?  What is the reasoning behind
> stringing them into the longer monolithic scripts since running through the
> numbered scripts provides the same outcome?

A couple reasons:

- The monolithic scripts allow for consolidating multiple point updates
into a set of statements that run more quickly.  Arguably this is more of a
potential for efficiency than something that has always been taken
advantage of -- but sometimes, it has.
- Of more import, since the monolithic scripts wrap all of the changes in
one or two transactions, if something goes wrong, the transaction rolls
back and the schema remains in a state that corresponds to a released
version.  In contrast, if something goes wrong while going through a
sequence of point upgrades and one gets stuck, the database could be in a
state that doesn't correspond with *any* released version -- which could be
awkward if one is nearing the end of a maintenance window.  Then again, if
one hasn't done a dry run first...

I should emphasize I'm listing some reasons why the monolithic scripts have
existed -- I'm not suggesting that they're always superior to other
approaches.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt