[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Upgrade Script for 2.6.4 to 2.7

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Mar 13 16:36:09 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Chris Sharp <csharp at georgialibraries.org>
wrote:

> Yeah, I can see the advantage of the full rollback.  I wonder if the
> wrapper/controller script I'm imagining (and Mike mentions in his "steps to
> make this actually happen" response could have some sort of rollback option
> (though I know it's Postgres transactions that we depend on for rollback at
> this point).

At first blush, I don't think that would be easy to do as such -- although
one could envision a wrapper script that took out the begin/commit pairs in
the individual point updates and ran the whole shebang in a single
transaction, there are times when multiple transactions are required if one
is both altering the structure of a table and altering data in it.

Consequently, a "rollback" in case of a failure would be accomplished by
restore from a base backup (or potentially, doing a PITR recovery to a
specified time).

But let's see if I can include a variation of this sentence in every single
response I make in this thread: doing test runs of EG upgrades is  a Good
Thing. :)

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt