[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Notice of Nominees for Board Director positions + Get Out The Vote

Ben Hyman ben.hyman at bc.libraries.coop
Fri May 8 18:53:34 EDT 2015

Greetings,

As communicated previously, three seats on the Evergreen Oversight Board are coming open this year, each for a three-year term. The Nominations Committee has now confirmed four nominees and would like to thank them all for their interest, as well as those who nominated them. You will find their names (alphabetical) and biographies below my signature.

To be eligible to vote in the upcoming election, you must either be an individual who has contributed code, documentation, or other work to the Evergreen Project, or you must be employed by an institution that is contributing to the project by virtue of running Evergreen. If you have not already done so, please register to vote by completing this short survey no later than 1600 Pacific, Monday, May 11: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RXVRSKJ

Registered voters will receive an email ballot during the evening on 11.05.15, once voter registration is closed; the election will open at 0001 Pacific on 12.05.15. and will close at 1700 Pacific on 14.05.15.

Make sure you Get Out The Vote and we’ll see many of you at the conference next week!

Best,
Ben

Ben Hyman
Executive Director | BC Libraries Cooperative
ben.hyman at bc.libraries.coop | 1.855.383.5761 ext 1001 | cell: 250.889.2738 | Skype: ben_hyman
bc.libraries.coop | Twitter: @BCLibrariesCoop
________________________________

NOMINEES FOR THE EVERGREEN OVERSIGHT BOARD ELECTION, 2015
________________________________

Ruth Frasur

I am the director of the Hagerstown - Jefferson Township Library, a small, rural library in east central Indiana and a member of the Evergreen Indiana Consortium.  I began my library career in 2007 as an assistant at Union County Public Library, one of the pilot libraries that migrated to Evergreen 1.4 in 2008.  Because of my lack of experience in libraries at that point, I had no concept of what life without an open source ILS was like.  As the years have passed and I've moved into directing my own Evergreen library, I've become more aware of and involved with the community beyond Indiana that supports, develops, uses, and loves Evergreen and the open source mentality.  I'm passionate about the success and health of my home consortium, now nearly in my third and final year on the Executive Committee for Evergreen Indiana.

As many know, I'm always willing to have a conversation with librarians, software professionals, and anyone else that will listen about Evergreen ILS, Evergreen Indiana, the international community, etc.  One thing that I am most proud of, with regard to my work on the executive committee, is suggesting and then seeing the realization of regional roundtables in Indiana to allow front-line library staff to participate more fully in our consortial community.  I am also pleased that during my tenure, we worked toward and saw the beginning of a membership fee schedule that will help contribute to the sustainability of the Evergreen Indiana consortium.  We also participated in the joint MVF development project with MassLNC.  Most recently, I've spent my time and energy working to incorporate aspects of the Evergreen ILS project into the OpenHatch.org FOSS education ecosphere.

There are a lot of things I don't know.  But I know that Evergreen ILS has changed the landscape of rural library service and use in Indiana in a dramatic and exciting way.  I'm committed to doing my best to support and pitch in to see that the software and the community surrounding it remains robust and always better than expected.

Respectfully,
--
Ruth Frasur
Director of the Historic(ally Awesome) Hagerstown - Jefferson Township Library

Sharon Herbert

Hi everyone,

I have served as Sitka Manager with the BC Libraries Cooperative since 2007. Sitka is a growing consortium of 82 multi-type libraries at over 130 locations in Western Canada, with a service area population of over 430,000.

Over the past 8 years, I've worked with the talented Sitka team to grow the services we provide to our members and to collaborate with the wider Evergreen community to improve and expand Evergreen functionality. We've partnered with several other Evergreen community members to provide funding, user specifications and software testing for several development initiatives including: KidsPAC; improvements to Acquisitions, Cataloguing and TPAC; the web-based staff client and more. Over the years, Sitka staff have contributed numerous bug fixes and developed new features including mobile PAC and recent Overdrive API integration. Sitka staff have also been leaders in writing documentation for Evergreen and we've shared our training and migration expertise with the wider Evergreen community. We also provide hosting for Conifer, a consortium of 19 post-secondary libraries in Ontario as well as a shared Evergreen training environment for students and faculty at three library schools in British Columbia. As the number of Sitka libraries have grown, it's been exciting to see many member libraries leveraging Evergreen's consortial strengths to allow patrons to seamlessly borrow materials across wider geographic regions.

I've seen the positive impact that Evergreen and a strong international community have made to library services in Canada and look forward to the opportunity to serve on the Oversight board to continue to grow and strengthen Evergreen.

Thank you for your consideration,

Sharon Herbert
Sitka Manager
BC Libraries Cooperative
________________________________

Meme Marlow

I am Meme Marlow the director of Worch Memorial Public Library in Versailles, Ohio and a member of the Consortium of Ohio Libraries (COOL). I have been the director of the library for five years. It was during that time a group of library directors interested in open source ILSs got together to discuss options for making this a reality. In 2012 these libraries formed COOL using Evergreen.

Since joining in 2013, my main contributions to Evergreen have been helping establish the consortium through serving on the COOL board and assisting in the development of policies and procedures that will be attractive to other libraries seeking membership in a consortium. In addition, I have been working on getting the serials module up and running, as well as working with a committee to develop a consortium wide training seminar.

Now that COOL is a healthy and thriving consortium, I am ready to get more involved with the larger Evergreen community. I am looking forward to the opportunity to serve and I think I can make a valuable contribution to Evergreen community through service on the Evergreen Oversight Board.

Thanks for your consideration.
Meme

Meme Marlow
Worch Memorial Public Library
Director
Versailles, OH 45380

Tim Spindler

I am the new executive director for C/W MARS but have worked with Evergreen and the community for the last five years in my capacity as the manager of library applications.  C/W MARS is a consortium of 144 libraries in central and western Massachusetts which migrated to Evergreen three years ago.  I feel I have much to contribute to the board and have been involved with the community including writing or editing documentation within the Documentation Interest Group, serving on the local arrangements committee for the Boston Evergreen meeting, and submitting launchpad bugs and testing releases. If elected, I would bring to the board a perspective of a 33 year old large library consortium that has also developed successful partnerships with our MassLNC partners as well as other Evergreen users.

Tim Spindler
Executive Director
C/W MARS