[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Authority records

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon May 11 15:30:51 EDT 2015

Hi Eva:

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Cerninakova Eva <cernin at jabok.cz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> We are currently trying to implement Czech National authorities into
> Evergreen and  have some question concerning authority records  (and may be
> contribution to the debate on authorities during Evergreen conference in
> Hood River) .
>
> 1) Does Evergreen support Z39.50 update function? Libraries in the Czech
> Republic are involved in creation of  authority records s and  the issue of
> Z39.50 update  is crucial  because tool providing update of records of the
> Czech national  authorities by cooperating libraries  is based on Z39.50
> update function.

No, Evergreen does not support any Z39.50 update functions at this time,
and as far as I know there are no plans to support update via Z39.50.

> 2) Is it possible to replace Evergreen system authority number in field
> 001 with Czech National authority control number? According to the  Czech
> national cataloging practice in the authority record the field 001 is used
> for Czech national authority control number. It is of course possible to
> use field 016 (National Bibliographic Agency Control Number), but as the
> cooperation is based on „living“ update via Z39.50, moving authority
> control number  might be   complication and potential barrier to
> cooperation.

If you disable the "maintain control numbers" global flag, then this might
be possible; testing required. Note that that would also affect how control
numbers are maintained for bibliographic records.

If you have administrator access, then you should be able to find this
setting in the staff client under Admin -> Server Admin -> Global Flags. If
not, but you have SQL access to the database, it would be "UPDATE
config.global_flag SET enabled = FALSE WHERE name =
'cat.maintain_control_numbers';"

A simplistic approach to preventing control number maintenance for only
authority records would be to modify the public.maintain_control_numbers()
database function to check for an authority-record specific flag (something
like 'cat.maintain_authority_control_numbers') and have that override the
general global flag.

Dan