[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Resetting karma in IRC

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Sat May 16 11:45:42 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Several of us at the conference have been discussing the idea of
resetting karma in the #evergreen channel at the end of each annual
conference. From what I understand, this is something that is done in
the code4lib community and allows everyone to start with a clean slate
each year after the conference.

I like this idea because I think it provides it's a better motivator for
new contributors to the community. As it is now, if somebody is just
starting out and is making a lot of contributions that result in
positive karma, it will take years before they catch up to the karma
levels of those of us who have been around for a while. By resetting the
karma points, anyone's given karma level will reflect the work they are
doing now, not the work they did years ago.

I would like to suggest that we reset the karma points in the #evergreen
channel by the end of next week (to give adequate time for any
dissension). For future conferences, I would like to suggest that the
karma points are reset on the Monday after the conference ends.

Let me know what you think!
Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier