[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Migration to Evergreen from "Library World"

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Wed May 20 10:22:06 EDT 2015

As Blake said it depends on what they can give you and in what formats.
For example, if they won't give extracts and all you can do is run reports
on circulation but the reports lack crucial data and can't be connected to
patrons .... it'll be a mess.

When an ILS install is not facilitated by a vendor there are sometimes work
arounds if you have physical access to the database but if I understand how
LW works that's not an option.  I have a long rant about signing agreements
for cloud hosting data without contractual rights to your data but that's
for another day.

Short version,

Step 1) Find out if LW will extract the data in a way that facilitates
migrating it.  Connection points between data (like being able in the
extract to say Circulation X is Patron Y's) is really important here, as
well as completeness of records.

Step 2) If they're not helpful you can start seeing what the library can
pull out via whatever tools they were given.  This gets into finger
crossing and prayers.

Step 3) Beg?  Law suit?  Pay hostage fees to have data freed?  I've seen
all three of these happen.

--

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me.”
― C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>