[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] FW: Evergreen Acquistions vs some other method

St. John, Leslie lstjohn at georgialibraries.org
Thu Nov 5 15:58:25 EST 2015

Hi Sharon,
We (I) empathize. Sincerely. It's not easy. We use all of it, or try. We've learned a lot and keep on learning.

In our consortium we currently have three library systems using Acquisitions. The systems are different in size, budget, workflows and vendors. Each encounters different issues. When we go into a library system that wants to use Acquisitions we ask about their goals and then later, after they have had some experience we go back and ask if the EG Acquisitions has or will meet their goals and they all have said yes. They are most excited about fund tracking - that they know how their budgets stand in real time; second is they are happily relieved of most of their paper. Although we tend to have very strict audit requirements that still require paper purchase orders and invoices their pre-order tracking, collating and receiving are almost paper free. One of our library systems that tried and rejected Acquisitions is now extremely interested - the person who rejected it is now in charge of the entire process of acquiring and cataloging for a large system. They now appreciate the advantages of a cohesive Acquisitions module over their cobbled together vendor website and internal spreadsheet system they have been using.

I do not know of any of our library systems using any Acquisitions specific software. Most systems seem to use a combination of ordering through through their vendor websites and issuing paper purchase orders, keeping track of their funds though spreadsheets. Some of our larger systems have constructed in-house databases to manage ordering but not fund tracking.

I hope that helps you out some. Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions or if we can be of any help to you.
Leslie

Leslie St. John
PINES Consultant
Georgia Public Library Service
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, GA 30345-4304
404-235-7129
lstjohn at georgialibraries.org