[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Custom See Also

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Thu Nov 5 16:05:26 EST 2015

Scott,

I am not a cataloger, but I work a lot with authorities in EG. I am a
little confused by your questions. Again this may be because I am not
a cataloger.

If you are referring to be able to see a "see also" entries when using
"manage authorities," I think that cannot be currently done. If
catalogers add "see" (auth tag 4xx) or "see also" (auth tag 5xx), the
data will be stored, but it is not displayed in manage authority
search results. I started creating a proof of concept code for adding
this functionality, but I don't know enough to achieve this behavior
at this point. I have hopes to someday add this to EG, with the help
of others.

If you want patrons to see a see also reference, if you take the
correct steps it will be seen with patrons that use the "browse the
catalog" search feature. Some of the steps required for that include
running a recurring script to link bibs to authority records, and
another script to link authorities to each other. Of course you will
also need to have added the relevant 5xx tag info on the record in
question.

This is all simplified, but I am hoping to help you out a bit.

Good luck,
Yamil

--

Yamil Suarez, MCS