[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cursor focus tweak?

Donald Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Mon Oct 12 09:13:11 EDT 2015

I can't be speak to how others are using the Search bar, so this is from
the perspective of a cataloger.

Personally, the only time having the text remain in the search box has
helped me is when I have not selected the correct search criteria. For
example, when the Search Type was set to Author and I really wanted it set
to Title.

The vast majority of the time, I am working with a list of some kind. When
I go from the OPAC View to the MARC Edit screen to fix the bib record, it
takes three mouse transactions to get back to the OPAC View, and three more
mouse transactions in the Search box before I can enter the next search.
That's a lot of clicking. Automatically highlighting the Search box on the
OPAC View and on the Results screen view would cut that in half; making my
searching much faster and cutting back on my Repetitive Stress syndrome.

Ideally I would like to be able to initiate a search at any time from any
screen; just like in a web browser. That would save the most mouse clicks.
Replacing the Record Summary header with a Search the Catalog header would
make my searching requirements much easier.

Also, one solution other systems have used that speaks to the need for
retaining searches, is to  make the Search box into a Drop-down list that
retains a brief history of previous searches. That would be a pretty cool
new feature.

don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu