[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Programmatic Merging of Bibliographic Records

Elaine Hardy ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Tue Apr 26 14:32:43 EDT 2016

For cataloging, ISBN is not a match point. For data cleanup and migration,
it is, at the very least, a bad match point . There are too many potential
errors with 020s to use it as a main match point. We still have mismatches
in our catalog where a vendor used it as the main match point -- as a
result, we have print items on audio records, audio on print, large print
on regular print, etc. the records will have a mix of audio and print, etc
since some items were on the correct record when the merge occurred.

Using ISBN as your primary match point will cause an unacceptable number of
false matches, as Blake points out as well.

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service/PINES
1800 Century Place, Ste. 150