[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SMS Carrier gateways for MVNO's

Ryan Eby ebyr at aadl.org
Tue Feb 2 09:47:50 EST 2016

We don't use it for evergreen or all our notices yet but I'd like to
give another +1 for Twilio and similar SMS API providers. We use Twilio
heavily during our summer reading / game (about 32k sms last aug, 24k in
july) and have never had a problem. They tend to be proactive letting us
know when a carrier is having delays or issues (think was only once in
last few years) and they do queuing and splitting so you don't end up
blocked.

We've also never had to deal with support issues related to them or
deliverability (just our own code). Patrons just need to associate their
number and it is forgiving on format, no provider drop downs or other
areas for error.

While not free the cost probably balances out with the lack of problems
and it actually working for patrons.

------
Ryan Eby
Ann Arbor District Library