[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Self Check

Joe Knueven joe at gtownlibrary.net
Tue Jul 5 11:49:56 EDT 2016

Also, because Evergreen’s implementation is so lightweight, you require only the most rudimentary of hardware to get started.

For instance, our current selfcheck machine is an old thin client device with a usb stick plugged in for a hard drive, running Debian, LXDE and iceweasel for the interface.  It works really well for the purpose, and the cost of the “computer” comes in around $50 each via ebay.

If you don’t mind using more electricity and having a larger system, any desktop build in last 15 years ought to work just as well.

The only thing I plan to change soon with that setup is to get openkiosk installed in place of/on top of iceweasel and to switch out the keyboard, mouse and surplus monitor we are using for a large touch screen monitor.

Long story short, not only is it there, but it’s awesome.  ☺

Have a good day.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director