[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Seeking suggested minimum permissions for user groups.

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Tue Jun 21 16:29:06 EDT 2016

> Any little bit helps since we're rolling up our sleeves and diving in.
> (Sorry for the mixed metaphor.)

Hi Serenity,

It's not pretty, but here are the stock permission groups in Evergreen
and their associated permissions:

http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=evergreen-user:stock_permission_groups

There's a hierarchy there with permission inheritance.

For example, every group falls under the "Users" group at the top of
the hierarchy, and the Users group has the OPAC_LOGIN permission,
which means, that every user regardless of their permission group will
have the OPAC_LOGIN permission.  There is no way to configure
"negative" permissions.

Also, in modern Evergreen it's much easier to handle putting a user
into multiple permission groups, so you don't, for example,
necessarily have to clutter the Catalogers group with
circulation-related permissions, you could instead make a user both a
Cataloger and a Circulator.

And one more big thing to remember, for most of these permissions to
work you also have to give a staff member one or more "Working
Locations" from the User Permission Editor.

--
Jason Etheridge