[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hold targeting behavior - Always Try a new copy

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Tue Mar 1 12:08:22 EST 2016

Thanks Thomas,

I made a big miss-statement in my message.  I wrote that "none of the copies that they pulled would capture".  My intended meaning was that "none of those 20 items that had been re-targeted would capture".  Other copies that were for local holds or that were still targeted to that branches copies captured just fine.

The copies that didn't capture would have all been going into transit.  The branch that I mentioned that had the 20 copies,  is also our delivery hub.  So any copies that they pull to fill holds will only take 1-2 days to get to the destination location, vs any other branch which will require that the item first transit back to that hub location, then be sent to the hold pickup location.  So even if the Hub location doesn't fill the hold in the first 24 hours, it is still quicker for them to fill it than going on to any other branch.

The goal of us using stalling was to hopefully always give the optimal location time to fill the hold before an opportunistic capture took effect.  But I wasn't taking into account this bouncing behavior when we decided to try that.

As for your last paragraph, do you mean that you don't see that as overly beneficial for our situation, or in general?  What you described is exactly what I was hoping for.  Don't retarget unless something has happened to the currently targeted copy to make it unholdable/unavailable.

Josh Stompro - LARL IT Director