[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Call Number Prefix and Suffix

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Mon Mar 7 16:51:12 EST 2016

Josh,

A key purpose of the prefix and the suffix is so that the call number
sorts WITHOUT them That way, for example, Dewey class numbers are together
regardless if they are R745.66 or 745.66 or J745.66. This is important for
those libraries that use call number browse to ensure that they have
unique call numbers and that a call number assigned to different editions
are correct. That way, you get:

If you want your call numbers to sort including the prefix and suffix,
just use put them in the call number and don't use prefixes or suffixes.

However, I would consider not showing the complete call number, including
prefixes and suffixes, in Alt view of Item status to be a bug.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy

PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service