[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hold Stalling at Cataloging/Delivery

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri Mar 18 12:36:47 EDT 2016

In our investigation of holds a few years ago we determined several things
about stalling. We confirmed it halts opportunistic capture of copies from
outside a library branch/system to allow a local copy to fill the hold
first. In other words, it limits opportunistic capture to copies held by
the patron pick-up library for a set interval. (In PINES this is five
days.) Stalling does not take into consideration whether or not the
pick-up library owns a copy or not, it still stalls opportunistic pickup
if there is no copy attached to the pickup library. Opportunistic capture
on non-pickup library copies will not occur during the stall interval.
Stalling does not affect the targeter.
(http://pines.georgialibraries.org/sites/default/files/files/Holds%20White
%20Paper.pdf )

So I would expect a copy where circ lib = hold pickup lib to fill the
hold. And I can see where, if the copy has no circ lib since your
collection is floating, where stalling could prevent capture of any hold.

Stalling isn't just to reduce transit times. It is also to solve a problem
caused by slow transit times - a patron places a hold on a title.
Opportunistic capture grabs a copy at another library and it is placed in
transit. In the meantime, the pickup library's copy is returned and is
shelved. Then the patron comes in and finds it before the item captured
for their hold has time to get to the pickup library. Patron is confused
and not happy that they have been waiting, maybe for a long time, when a
copy was seemingly available. Staff is confused and not happy,
particularly when they notice their copy was returned within days of the
other copy being placed in transit. They check the item out to the patron
and then have to return the other library's copy when it finally arrives.
To solve this very specific set of problems, PINES libraries requested the
stall on opportunistic captures to give time for any copy owned by the
pickup library to be returned and fill the hold.

We also had a problem at one time where the software didn't automatically
recognize a new copy as available for a hold - it was invisible to the
hold process for about 24 hours. By new copy here, I mean where a library
has items attached to a bib record, holds are placed, more copies are
subsequently added --any copy added after the holds are placed would not
be captured until the next day when the targeter "found" them. I believe
we did solve this but I am not positive. Chris might have more
information.

J. Elaine Hardy

PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service