[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Searchable Copy Notes

Donald Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Thu May 19 13:48:26 EDT 2016

Hi Scott,

One alternative to your proposal is to use a 541 (Immediate Source of
Acquisition) <http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/5xx/541.html> note in the
bib record rather than a note in the item/copy record. This field is
primarily intended for "original or historical items or other archival
collections", but it can be used to chronicle gifts. Of course you do lose
the exact copy donated information with this approach and the field is
visible to the public if they happen to look at the MARC record display.
But it can be indexed, and used to pull reports.

We've just started doing this and it seems to be working OK. Using a macro
program to apply constant data saves on repetitive stress injuries and
typos.

Just a thought.

Don

--