[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Searchable Copy Notes

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu May 19 13:59:02 EDT 2016

Scott,

Since your main use case is about applying the same message to many
specific copies, like a "digital book plate", it might be interesting to
consider using copy buckets with a new type of, say, "donation", instead.
Each bucket of that type would get its own name and description fields,
analogous to the title and value fields on copy notes.  Here are some
benefits I see:

 * By only having the one bucket for a given donation, regardless of the
number of items, we avoid human error on the note entry.
 * Also, searching the name and description strings becomes very "cheap"
compared to copy note title/value, since there is only the one bucket
rather than a note per item.
 * We already have specialized bucket-related interfaces already, which
allow seeing the item set as a whole and manipulating them together.
 * A URL can already be created that points any user, via the OPAC, at the
set of records with items in the container, and (as a bonus) searches can
be performed /within/ that set.
 * Because we have container-specific logic in the search code already,
it's a (much, much, much) simpler path to add "searching" on name or
description of these donation buckets, rather than copy notes.

Thoughts?

--
Mike Rylander