[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Acquisitions question: how do you handle orders from Amazon?

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Thu Oct 13 17:22:16 EDT 2016

Hi colleagues,

We're thinking about how we want to approach on-order records from
Amazon, and wanted to know how you approached this in your own
libraries.  We had a few ideas:

1) Just wait on creating POs until the Amazon orders actually arrive.
This doesn't give patrons the chance to put holds on items before they
are received.

2) Just type out the brief order records when the order is placed,
which seems time consuming.

3) Also when the order is placed, use the Acquisitions MARC Federated
Search, and if nothing shows up, then type the brief order records,
which also seems time consuming.

4) Be sad that the chopac Amazon2Marc converter went away [1]

How do y'all handle this?  I'm particularly interested in hearing
about how your workflow works for your cataloging/acquisitions staff
and how it looks to patrons using the catalog.

Thanks in advance,

  -Jane

[1] http://web.archive.org/web/20160319050314/http://chopac.org/az2marc_goodbye.html

--