[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Getting OCLC numbers out of the Reports

Rogan Hamby rhamby at esilibrary.com
Tue Sep 13 08:18:40 EDT 2016

The tag can just be equals.  If you're not familiar with MARC record
conventions I'd like to recommend bringing a few up in the staff client.
That will give you an idea of how the tags and subfields are structured and
you can see some examples of your own records and where the oclc might be
stored.

Unfortunately with MARC data there is no universal truth, at least as long
as we are relying on people to put things places.  This is where I insert
my usual low key rant about the value of a good cataloger maintaining
consistency in a database.  :)

You will want to tailor your reports around your data so I can't tell you
the best course of action in that regard.  There are Evergreen settings
that can affect what is where.  The 001 may have a tcn or may have a bib id
depending on your settings.

In the spirit of many ways to do things you may also want to look at the
tcn value in the bib record data source.

A quick aside about OCLC numbers ... we throw around discussing OCLC
numbers as control numbers because they are by far the single most common
kind and OCLC's reach is pretty far but there is no guarentee of an OCLC
number anywhere in a MARC record.  035 is the system control number which
may be OCLC or may not, if your system is predominately OCLC records then
it might be useful for that.  There are valid subfields other than $a so if
you don't filter by $a you may get others.  Some you may want, for example,
the $z is the canceled or invalid control number, which depending on your
purpose may be useful (it's also rare in my experience but not unknown).

In contrast to the System Control Number the 001 is the Control Number or
Title Control Number.  It is not uncommon to find an OCLC number in there,
especially in heavy OCLC use systems.  I've seen libraries with less than
1% OCLC numbers and libraries with less than 1% that aren't.  Since I don't
know your data I can't tell you what you'll find.

I know you wanted more of a "here is a definitive answer" kind of answer
but without seeing your data I can't do that.  Even then depending on the
consistency of the records there may not be an answer your want (or your
records may be perfect and there is!).

rogan at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS | www.esilibrary.com