[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Upgrading from 2.10 to 2.11 error questions

Daniel Wells dbwells at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 22:38:22 EDT 2017

Hello Jesse,

For your first issue, it appears you have some kind of encoding problem in
some of records.  This is very common for any record with foreign
characters.  Without getting into too much detail, MARC records are
generally supposed to use UTF8 encoding (a modern, universal encoding) or
MARC8 encoding (an older, library-centric standard).  Records will commonly
say they use one encoding but have characters from the other, or use
characters from an entirely different, unsupported encoding (e.g. Latin
1).  I would recommend you try to sort these out eventually, but I don't
think you are doing any additional harm here.

For the 901s update, this update is kinda brute-force, so there is a chance
you will run into table lock problems if anyone else tries to update the
biblio.record_entry table while this is running.  The biblio.record_entry
table doesn't get updated during normal OPAC and circ operations, so if you
can avoid saving records, you should be able to run it while live.  A safer
option (which we typically take) in situations like this is to actually
generate a file where every update is a separate command (UPDATE
biblio.record_entry SET marc = marc where id = 123; UPDATE
biblio.record_entry SET marc = marc where id = 124; ... etc.).  Such a
setup lets it plod along without holding onto multiple rows as the work is
done.  Let me know if you need more guidance in creating such a file.

Also, that upgrade step comes from this feature addition:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1307553 .  Unless you actively
plan to take advantage of this new source subfield $s, you can delay this
entire command until a more convenient time.  It won't affect any normal
operations to not have that subfield populated.

Sincerely,
Dan